The UK Joint Committee on Women (UKJCW) is formed four organisations in the UK which represent and work for women and women’s associations in the four UK home nations in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
England: National Alliance of Women’s Organisations - NAWO
The National Alliance of Women’s Organisations (NAWO, founded 1989) is an umbrella organisation for over 100 organisations and individuals based in England. All members are concerned to ensure women gain access to their human rights, and to make equality between women and men a reality. Its diverse membership includes: single issue to specialist organisations, faith groups, health centres, arts-based organisations and others offering services and campaigning across a range of women’s concerns.
NAWO works to promote women’s human rights and the achievement of gender equality throughout society. As a membership organisation they seek to bridge the gap between women’s organisations and decision makers. To achieve their goals, they reach out to support, inform and empower their members, enabling them to lobby and participate in decision making at UK and EU levels and beyond to the United Nations.
NAWO works in partnership with other women’s organisations:
- To ensure that women’s voices are heard and attended to nationally, in Europe and internationally
- To ensure that gender is mainstreamed throughout all government policies and in their implementation
- The implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA)
- The improvement of government provision for women
- The assessment of all policies and their impact on women and men
89, Eastern avenue, Gloucester GL46 PQ
Tel: 0203 802 0416
Northern Ireland: Women’s Platform - WP
- Women’s Platform
What the WP does:
- Provides women in Northern Ireland with a platform to make their voices heard on domestic, European and international social, economic, cultural and political affairs
- Enables women to understand United Nations, European and domestic legislation, conventions and policies that focus or impact on women and to use them to advocate for equality
- Consults with women in preparing recommendations for discussion with government and institutions at domestic, European and international level
- Represents Northern Ireland women at European and international levels
- Jointly represents the UK on the European Women’s Lobby with partners in England, Scotland and Wales, and works with sister organisations in Ireland and across Europe
- Secures opportunities for women’s organisations to attend European and international events through its EWL and UN membership
- Brings European and international expertise to domestic policy development
- Supports women’s organisations and other partners with information, training and experience-exchange on equality and human rights for women
- Responds to government and public consultation on local and national issues
- Represents the views from Northern Ireland to the UN Committee on the Status of Women (CSW)
- Uses its UN Special Consultative status to enable women from Northern Ireland to engage and share experiences internationally
- Promotes international treaties and conventions such as the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and UN Security Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security
Northern Ireland Women’s European Platform
6 Mount Charles
Belfast BT7 1NZ
Northern Ireland, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 7716 122804
- Women’s Platform
Engender is Scotland’s feminist membership organisation. We have a vision for a Scotland in which women and men have equal opportunities in life, equal access to resources and power, and are equally safe and secure from harm. We are a membership organisation working on an anti-sexist agenda in Scotland and Europe to increase women’s power and influence and make visible the impact of sexism on women, men and society.
Engender seeks to improve women’s lives by:
- Tackling inequality and gender issues wherever they arise
- Making Government aware of what women need and want
- Pressing for equal representation of women at all levels of Government and public life
- Training and supporting women within their communities to influence decision makers
- Providing networking in Scotland and internationally
10 Old Tolbooth Wynd – Edinburgh EH8 8EQ, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 131 558 9596
Wales | Cymru: Women’s Equality Network Wales | RhCM Cymru
WEN Wales is a vibrant network of over 700 organisations and individuals committed to making Wales a safer and fairer place for women and girls.
They aim to provide clarity and a united voice on the serious issues facing women in Wales. They have a small, dedicated team of staff and trustees who deliver consultations, events and research, and represent women in Wales at national and international levels.
WEN Wales represents welsh women at UK-wide and international levels. They are part of the UK Joint Committee on Women (UKJCW) with their three sister organisations in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. As a member of the UKJCW they represent Wales to the European Women’s Lobby (EWL). In addition, they also participate in the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), the global body dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and empowerment of women.
Rhwydwaith o dros 700 o sefydliadau ac unigolion sy’n ymrwymedig i wneud Cymru’n lle mwy diogel i fenywod a merched yw RhCM Cymru.
Ein nod yw rhoi eglurder a llais unedig ar y materion difrifol sy’n wynebu menywod yng Nghymru. Mae gennym dîm bach, ymroddedig o staff ac ymddiriedolwyr sy’n cyflwyno ymgynghoriadau, digwyddiadau ac ymchwil, ac yn cynrychioli menywod yng Nghymru yn genedlaethol ac yn rhyngwladol.
Mae RhCM Cymru’n cynrychioli menywod o Gymru yn y DU ac yn rhyngwladol. Rydym yn rhan o Gydbwyllgor y DU ar Fenywod (UKJCW) gyda’n tri chwaer-sefydliad yn Lloegr, yr Alban a Gogledd Iwerddon. Fel aelod o’r UKJCW, rydym yn cynrychioli Cymru yn Lobi Menywod Ewrop (EWL), swf y sefydliad ymbarél i sefydliadau menywod ar draws Ewrop.
Yn ogystal â chynrychioli Cymru yn y DU ac Ewrop, rydym hefyd yn cymryd rhan yng Nghomisiwn ar Statws Menywod (CSW) y Cenhedloedd Unedig, y corff byd-eang sy’n ymroddedig i hyrwyddo cydraddoldeb rhyw a grymuso menywod.
First Floor, Anchor Court
Keen Road, Cardiff CF24 5JW